Thursday, June 28, 2007

Woke up this morning and received a sms from my attachment colleagues. Uncle Wahab passed away, just one month after he retired. Feelings at that moment? Shocked, surprised, speechless,sad, numb and a whole lot of emotions mixed together. I just don't know how to feel and react. Maybe i'm in denial, i'm not sure. Uncle Wahab has always been one of my favourite colleague over at Motion Smith. He is the one who would greet everyone with a big smile on the face every morning and ask them how they're doing. Despite his health, he doesn't want to quit, for the passion and loyalty. He has been there ever since the company started back in the 60s, and worked there ever since till one week after his 65th birthday, which is also the legal retirement age. I love how when i go to work every morning, he would have this little competition with me to see who reached the office first, even though every walk he takes is painful due to gout. A 2 minutes walk could take him 10 minutes but his spirit was so strong and determined. I miss how everytime when i'm bored from doing work, i would go and find him and he would tell me so many stories, especially his son and sports. We would discuss about American Idol and almost every day, he would play the CD, which his son recorded for National Day back in the 90s, for us to listen. He would sing along to the songs on Gold 90 fm and i would just sit there and listen. He is very sick but very jovial and optimistic. I can still remember the conversations we had when i went back to the office last month and bought him lunch, a week before he retire. He was telling me so many stories, as usual, and invited me to visit him whenever i'm free. We also discussed his plan after retirement, like the cruise trip he's going to take. It pains to see him suffer back then. But is also pains to know he's gone. I just don't know how to feel. Hope he went peacefully. I'll miss him.

Isn't he so cute in this picture?

No comments: